The main background uses an interesting (although very hard to photograph, grr) technique that was shared by Tammy Tutterow on her blog. Using an adhesive backed mirrored sheet, you stick your patterned paper to the sticky side and then proceed to wet it and rub most of the paper off, leaving the design. (See here for her complete instructions.) You can see the shiny silvery surface peeking through and it looks really cool!
I also put my new Sizzix Magnetic Platform that I got for Christmas to the test. Oh my goodness I LOVE that thing. It makes it so easy to stamp an image and then precisely cut it out with a matching die. I have had such trouble with this in the past. The die always moves and I have to try to stick things down with washi tape (and then peel little bits of tape off the diecut). Anyway, this platform works great!! I'll have to put some more stamp/die sets on my wish list ha ha. I also used my Embossing Diffuser set for the first time (although I've had it for ages, shh, don't tell). This was really easy to use too and I was able to make a nice un-embossed area in the middle of the honeycomb panel for the frame and cameo diecut. I will definitely need to be using the diffusers more!
The flowers are metal and I painted them with Distress Paint. This paint sticks well to metal and blends wonderfully. I used two or more colors on each flower and lightly misted with water to help the blending. It makes them look vintage. I did find that wiping the bare flowers off with rubbing alcohol first helped the paint stay put. There was a slight film or something on the metal that was causing it to bead up a little.
I hope you head on over to SEM and check out their January challenges. There are three to choose from and if you link up your own projects you'll be entered into the prize drawings.
Most of the supplies I used to create this card can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. Thanks!