Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Woodlands Accordion Candle Screen

Hello everyone! I used the Karen Burniston Accordian Album die in conjunction with the Frame & Label Bracket die to create a screen decor piece that you can put votive candles behind (I used battery operated ones!) Here's a look and I'll explain how I put it together.

"daylight" look

with lights behind it
In the first step, I cut the accordian panels out of clear plastic from the packaging of Sizzix dies. (Reuse, gotta love it!) Now this plastic cuts easily and can be bent and creased but it is a bit thick to fold easily. Therefore, this "card" does not fold flat. It's pretty much permanently this shape. Since this isn't really a card however, I'm fine with that. It's meant to sit there and look pretty anyway. I'd find a lighter weight plastic to make the base out of if you want to fold it up.

To make the "see through" panels, I stamped the image with archival ink onto plain white tissue paper. When it was nice and dry, I spread a layer of Glue 'n Seal over the back of the plastic center panels and then carefully adhered the tissue squares. I waited until everything was dry before I trimmed away the excess tissue paper. I also colored the back using reinkers and a watercolor brush. I didn't overly saturate it to keep the tissue intact. Use a light touch! I think Distress Pens or real watercolors would have worked just as well. On the front of the center panels I used the "cracked glass" technique to add some more texture. (Can't really see it in the photos but it's cool!) Brush on a layer of Glue 'n Seal over the front of the panel and let it dry. Then you can brush on a layer of Rock Candy Crackle Paint and it will stick. This works with all sorts of slick surfaces. You just have to put on the layer of Glue 'n Seal first or the crackle will flake right off.

The rest is pretty straight-forward. Die cutting, stamping and lots of Rock Candy and Picket Fence Stickles for some sparkle! I hope you've been inspired. You can find most of the supplies I used to create this project at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. Thanks!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A friend loves at all times…

Hello! I am happy to be a guest designer on Scrapping Everyday Miracles this month. I created a card that centers on their main challenge for January - to create a project about "Friends Forever". The inspirational verse is Proverbs 17:17, "A friend loves at all times…" I am going to send this card to a friend and I hope it uplifts and encourages her.

The main background uses an interesting (although very hard to photograph, grr) technique that was shared by Tammy Tutterow on her blog. Using an adhesive backed mirrored sheet, you stick your patterned paper to the sticky side and then proceed to wet it and rub most of the paper off, leaving the design. (See here for her complete instructions.) You can see the shiny silvery surface peeking through and it looks really cool!

I also put my new Sizzix Magnetic Platform that I got for Christmas to the test. Oh my goodness I LOVE that thing. It makes it so easy to stamp an image and then precisely cut it out with a matching die. I have had such trouble with this in the past. The die always moves and I have to try to stick things down with washi tape (and then peel little bits of tape off the diecut). Anyway, this platform works great!! I'll have to put some more stamp/die sets on my wish list ha ha. I also used my Embossing Diffuser set for the first time (although I've had it for ages, shh, don't tell). This was really easy to use too and I was able to make a nice un-embossed area in the middle of the honeycomb panel for the frame and cameo diecut. I will definitely need to be using the diffusers more!

The flowers are metal and I painted them with Distress Paint. This paint sticks well to metal and blends wonderfully. I used two or more colors on each flower and lightly misted with water to help the blending. It makes them look vintage. I did find that wiping the bare flowers off with rubbing alcohol first helped the paint stay put. There was a slight film or something on the metal that was causing it to bead up a little.

I hope you head on over to SEM and check out their January challenges. There are three to choose from and if you link up your own projects you'll be entered into the prize drawings.

Most of the supplies I used to create this card can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. Thanks!