The insects were made using the new Layered Butterfly and Dragonfly dies from Tim Holtz. I love these dies! I will have many more projects to come with them incorporated.
Here are few detail shots before we get into some of the "how" I made these:
Now for some beginning steps. The initial layers were a scrap pieces of matboard I had around. I used Ranger's Texture Paste and the Gears stencil to create some base texture. When it was dry, I spritzed each one with Tumbled Glass and Ripe Persimmon Distress Stains for a first layer of color.
Next came the fun part of pulling out a zillion bits and pieces of gears etc. and playing around with the composition. The chipboard gears (and fancy gear borders and corners used on the frame) came from Gina's Designs. I've been very pleased with their laser cut chipboard shapes. They are so intricate!) After gluing everything down I painted it all with Silks Acrylic Glazes. I love these paints; the colors are so rich with a bit of shimmer in them.
To the frame I also applied some Texture Paste through the Dot Fade stencil. I made sure I didn't get into the areas where the gear borders were going to go. I wanted them to lay flat on the frame.
I am also entering these into the August Mixed Media Monthly challenge. If you haven't checked out this challenge blog yet, I highly recommend it. They have very interesting challenges and lots of inspiration to see.
I hope that you have been inspired to get creative yourself! Most of the supplies I used for these can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. I will also point out that US shipping is always $5 and international shipping is just $10!