Hello! Eileen's new collection, Heartfelt, is soon to be in stores and all this month the Inspiration Team is sharing projects using it! This week I'm sharing a steampunk mini album I made using the 5x5 inch Mini Album Die that is being re-released with this collection. There are lots of photos so hang in there!
|Lots of fun doo-dads on the spine!|
And on the inside…
The inside front cover has a "wooden" panel (Distress Woodgrain Cardstock!) featuring one of my favorite Stampendous stamps, Bird Gears.
I created a center "pocket page" as a place to tuck in tags and ephemera. (instructions to follow…)
Tutorial time!! First I adhered patterned paper to scoreboard and cut out the covers.
The Mini Album Die is a movers & shapers die so there is a recessed area where you can place the various magnetic movers & shapers dies to cut parts out of the cover. I used the largest circle from the Tim Holtz Circles Set to cut an opening right out of the middle of the front cover.
The Woodgrain cardstock panel forms the backing for the circle inset. The textured side faced inward and I stuck a piece of foil sheet onto the reverse side of the cardstock.
I used alcohol ink on the foil to add texture and interest. This is the part that shows under the big gear in the cover inset.
|Spine mechanism that the pages got glued to.|
For the spine, I cut ten 1.5 in x 5 in strips of brown cardstock. I folded each in half and then glued five together to the make the fan shaped parts shown above. (These are the flaps the pages were glued to.)
|Pages attached to the fan assemblies.|
The maximum spine width of this album die is 1 1/8 in so I was able to glue in both of my fan assemblies with the two inner base halves overlapping in the spine area. This left a nice area in the middle where I could bind in some "extras".
Here's the flattened center pocket. I decorated it with stenciling and stamping.
After folding it and and gluing the side tabs, I stapled it in the center fold. I used black elastic cord to tie around the album and hold the pocket in place.
I also threaded a piece of elastic cord through one side of a mini cabinet card and tied that into the binding as well.
Thanks for stopping by for a visit! Please be sure to head on over to Eileen's Blog and see all the wonderful projects the Team is sharing. There is a lot of inspiration to be had! ;-) Each week there will be a new batch to see.
I'm also entering this into the March SanDee &Amelie's Steampunk Challenge.
The supplies I used for this project can be found at Sizzix or Simon Says Stamp. Follow the links below and a shopping you may go!