Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Funkie Junkie Challenge - Stencil Mania!

Good day to you! Our new challenge at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog is up and running and it's a fun one! Our hostess is Teri Wilson and the theme is Stencil Mania.

Get your stencils out and go a little crazy for this challenge! Use them with inks, paints, glazes, mediums, or whatever else you wish, but use at least three different stencils in your project.

I love using stencils so I was ready to roll for this challenge. I decided to make another mixed media Etc. tag project (see my first one here).

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie "Stencil Mania" Challenge #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #tim_holtz #sizzix #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

Summer often makes me think of the ocean and trips to the beach and I got the idea to make a funky octopus' garden, complete with a yellow submarine in the background. ;-) I was also influenced by my newly arrived Uncharted Mariner Distress products - the newest color in the Distress line. O-la-la, I love this new color!! How could I not do something marine inspired? Brightly colored ocean "flora" was created with die cuts and I fussy cut a stamped octopus garden resident.


I started off making a stack of various backgrounds and experimented with different color combos. (Funtime!) I chose my favorite one to stencil and stamp on to create the tag background (see below).


I raided my scrap bins for bits and pieces to use for the die cutting. (It pays to hoard!)


For the octopus, I used a stamping platform to stamp my initial image. Without moving the stamp or paper, I painted over the image with mica watercolors and then re-stamped the image over the top once it was dry to bring the detail back. (Handy technique alert!)

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you check out the fun challenges we have on the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. They are always good for sparking your creativity! You have two weeks to join the current challenge so I hope you give it a go.

Supplies used:
Tim Holtz die set - Abstract Faces
Tim Holtz die set - Wacky Transport #1
Tim Holtz die set - Artsy Stems
Tim Holtz die set - Decorative Trims
Tim Holtz layering stencils - Code, Linked Circles, Feather, Nature

Tim Holtz stamp set - Sealife CMS304

Distress Ink - Uncharted Mariner
Distress Oxide Ink - Uncharted Mariner, Picked Raspberry, Cracked Pistachio
Ranger Archival Inks - Black Soot, Hickory Smoke
Distress Oxide Spray Stains - Uncharted Mariner, Cracked Pistachio, Mermaid Lagoon
Distress Glaze - Wild Honey, Fossilized Amber, Uncharted Mariner







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!