… and a closer look at a project from Creativations! All this month we've been taking a look at Eileen's ColorBox Blends from Clearsnap (check out all the fun projects on Eileen's blog if you've missed them). This is a project I made for Creativations using some of Eileen's new dies and the Blends ink for stenciling. (You can see my other Blends projects here and here.) I created a banner decor piece which I think is perfect for saying goodbye to winter with:
Isn't this cheerful? Eileen's new dies I used (coming soon to stores!) are the House/Pocket, Stitchy Flowers, and Stitchlits Words. Let's take a look:
The banner is cut from white cotton canvas material. I painted the background with watered down Distress Paint (Tumbled Glass and Twisted Citron). If I were redoing it, I could have made custom mists from the Blends inks (see how in my Mr. Owl tutorial) and used those on the background. The paint stiffens the fabric up a bit but the ink mist does not.
I used some of Wendy Vecchi's stencils (Layered Tree and Borders) and the Blends (Nutmeg, Frog and Hydranga) to add the tree, hatched border on the bottom, and blue diamonds to the background. The Blends ink with its integrated sponge applicator makes it super easy to use for applying ink, especially through stencils.
Here is a detail of how I added the stitched words at the top of the banner. The Stitchlits Words die set is made up of individual word dies that you can use to cut anywhere on your project. It gives you holes that you can then easily stitch! I didn't have the actual die in my hands (Eileen sent us precut things to make show samples with) but that was not a problem. I used the cardstock with the diecut wording (on left) as a template and marked the dot positioning with a water erasable fabric pen. Then I just stitched with floss to connect the dots.
The house and flowers were cut out of wool felt (the dies cut felt wonderfully!) I stitched and glued all the little parts together and added extra decorative embroidery as well.
The hanger was easy to make with the Twist & Style Tool. I used about a yard of silver 24 gauge wire doubled up (I didn't have thicker wire on hand) and twisted it into a sturdy length I could bend into the hanger shape.
|I colored the wire with Mushroom Alcohol Ink to age it.|
Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to head on over to Eileen's blog and see all the fabulous projects the Inspiration Team has made this month.
The supplies I used for this project can be found at Sizzix or Simon Says Stamp. Follow the links below and a shopping you may go!