Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Funkie Junkie Focus - Tim Holtz Christmas Distress

Hello friends! If you are into making for the holiday season, it is definitely time to think about Christmas crafting! I know for me personally, if I wait until December there is no way I can have all my creative plans come to fruition. So let's get going! 

Our Funkie Junkie product focus this time around is on Tim Holt'z Seasonal Distress release from Ranger. Mica Stains, Crayons, Snowfall Grit Paste and the Grey Woodgrain Cardstock make for some stellar creative playtime!


I decided to use Eileen Hull's new Geometric Box Die to create some Christmas treat gift boxes in two different color ways. 

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Blog - Christmas treat boxes #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #eileenhull #tim_holtz #sizzix #mysizzixstory #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

I thought the triangular panels of the box sides would be perfect for showcasing different Distress techniques and colors.

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Blog - Christmas treat boxes #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #eileenhull #tim_holtz #sizzix #mysizzixstory #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

In my personal decorating I don't do much with pink/pastel type color combinations but I do appreciate the retro palette! The Holiday Mica Spray Set #4 that contains Merrymint, Cocktail Party and Shiny Bauble is perfect for it. (More details on techniques below, scroll on…)

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Blog - Christmas treat boxes #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #eileenhull #tim_holtz #sizzix #mysizzixstory #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

Here is the more "woodsy" traditionally colored box. The lid lifts off to reveal whatever treats you decide to pack inside:

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Blog - Christmas treat boxes #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #eileenhull #tim_holtz #sizzix #mysizzixstory #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

Let's take a look at some of the how to! (If you missed Tim Holtz's live where he discusses the 2022 Seasonal Distress release and shares demos, check it out. SO much good info.)

1) I started out playing with the new Pine Branches 3D Embossing Folder, trying different papers and color combinations.



The pearlescent Crayons are perfect for blending over the embossed areas. I just colored directly onto the paper and then blended with my finger.

I ended up going with the green cardstock with Fresh Balsam Crayon.

2) Next I moved on to various pastes and sprays.

Transparent Texture Paste on Distress Watercolor Paper.

Love it!

Texture Paste Opaque (Holiday Knit Stencil) and Crackle Paste Opaque (Festive Stencil)

The Tart Cranberry Mica Stain adds a wonderful glimmer!


3) The Mica Stains are perfect for coloring the Woodland Trees too! Next time I spray trees, I need to remember to wrap tape around the wooden base. The Distress sprays react with the Snowfall Grit Paste. oops!



4) Geometric Box assembly! I cut the base pieces out of white mat board.


I cut triangles out of my Distress papers to fit onto the sides of the boxes.


I added Rock Candy Glitter to the stars. Nice sparkle!


5) I made some little houses for the lids using the Paper Village 2 Die Set. For the pink house, I cut it out of the Holiday Gray Woodgrain Cardstock and tinted with the Cocktail Party Crayon.


6) I glued the trees and houses onto the box tops and then added some Snowfall Grit Paste snow all around it and on the house roofs.


For a final touch, while the paste was wet I added some Rock Candy Glitter using a Glitter Duster. Extra sparkle is good!


Thanks for reading and keep an eye on the Funkie Junkie Inspiration Ave blog for loads of eye candy and techniques!



3 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning Lisa! The little houses are the perfect scale and your bottlebrush trees came out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me Eileen 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial and super cute projects. I agree with your take on retro Christmas colors. I love them and appreciate them, but personally I am more traditional. Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!