Thursday, October 9, 2014

Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge #12

Hello! I created this project for the latest Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge over at the Studio L3 blog. This time the challenge is to use the Photo Tinting technique as found on page 41 of the Tim Holtz book, Compendium of Curiosities Vol. 3. I altered an old direct mail package I had in my stash (more on that later) to make a fall decor piece. The front and inside graphics I downloaded from the Graphics Fairy website. That is a great place to find images to use for all your projects!

Cover

Inside
Be sure to hop on over to the Studio L3 blog to see the awesome Curiosity Crew inspiration. Thanks too to The Funkie Junkie Boutique for sponsoring the prize for challenge #12.

ALSO, the latest challenge for Inspiration Journal is up and running! The theme this month is In Disguise. Use something in a way different from its original intention. I mentioned earlier that I used an old mailer package for mine. I've had this hanging around for ages!


I gave it several coats all over of regular gesso and used a stencil and super heavy gesso to give the inside some texture:


On the cover, I glued down diecut and embossed leaves and also gave those a coat of gesso to help seal them. Then I used various colors of Distress Paint on them with plenty of misted water to get everything to blend. I used some of the new Tarnished Brass spray Distress Stain as a final embellishment. It gives it such a wonderful shimmery spatter texture.



I used mists and paint on the inside. The "wood" panel behind the leaves is paper and ink! For a tutorial on the faux wood technique see this post for instructions. The new Layered Leaf die is colored with a variety of Distress Inks, Stains (love the new Spray Stains!!) and a bit of Distress Embossing powder to give it texture.


I also found the perfect quote to go with this:


The banner image is from the Graphics Fairy too and I also tinted it using the technique on page 41. I am also going to enter this into the Craft Hoarders Anonymous blog challenge Happy Fall Y'all! Everything except the Layered Leaf die has been in my hoard stash for a while (some things for a loooong while ;-) ) Whew, that was a long post! Thanks for sticking with me on it. 

Most of the supplies I used for this can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. I will also point out that US shipping is always $5 and international shipping is just $10. ;-)





9 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa. What a sweet card! Love the colors, the die cut leaves and the phoo tinting! Thanks for joining us at CC3C. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautiful, Lisa! Those leaves are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous transformation! Love the yummy leaves, the textured background and the wonderful poem, too! Thanks for sharing this with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. I am in love with your leaves. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great fall box!! LOVE the leaves!!! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just took this to the next level! Amazing end result! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice autumn cards. Thanks for joining us on the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fun project, Lisa! Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!