Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Mixed Media Madness – ATC binder cover

Hello everyone! I finally got to a project I've had in mind for a few months now. I've been trading a lot of ATCs over the past six months and they are just filling up a box. I've been wanting to get them organized into a binder but I knew it couldn't just be an ordinary binder. What fun is that? I found a three-ring binder at the thrift store that had a paper instead of plastic covered cover and knew that would be the perfect surface to practice some mixed media madness on. I probably should have taken some in-progress photos but I was having too much fun to stop in the middle. ;-)


It was a black binder so I first coated the raw cover with black gesso as a primary layer. Once dry, I adhered a linen doily misted blue to it and used a stencil with black modeling paste to add texture over it all. I also added some misting with the DecoArt Media Acrylic Misters (which are permanent) and a wash of Phthalo Green Blue in places. Then the fun of adding the graphics and embellishments began! The lily and frog images are from The Graphics Fairy. I printed them out with my Epson ink jet printer and gave them a coat of Ultra Matte Varnish to seal them before I glued them onto the cover. I glued on lace, diecuts, and metal embellishments and gave them a coat of white gesso before blending on various colors of Fluid Acrylics and Silks Acrylic Glazes. I also added clear glass micro beads for more shimmery texture.

Detail 1

Detail 2

Thanks for stopping by to see my new project! I hope you find it inspirational. =) The supplies I used for this project can be found at Inspiration Emporium or Amazon. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE at Inspiration Emporium to save 10% if you go shopping there. I will also point out that US shipping is always $5 and international shipping is just $10 at IE. ;-)


2 comments:

  1. Stunning art Lisa! Love the dimensional quality and the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Lisa! Love the luminescence that shows through even on my computer screen! Congrats on being featured.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!