Monday, February 1, 2016

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #21 – It's all about the glitter!

It's that time again – the start of a new month and a brand new glittery Mixed Media Monthly challenge. In fact, that is the theme! Get your bling on and glitter up your creative mixed media projects because that's what we want to see. I present to you Challenge #21:



For my project I altered a binder to house some of my ATC collection. I made another binder a few months ago (see it HERE) but it was rapidly filled up. I needed a second one!! (Actually I think I need to make a third one so stay tuned… ;-) )

This month the challenge sponsor is Frantic Stamper which happens to be one of the only U.S. retailers of the U.K. based Paper Artsy products. The MMM design team got a chance to play with some of their Fresco Paint and I must say it is cool stuff!

To start, I covered the front of my binder with three layers of black gesso (letting it dry in between layers). I left it "rough" around the edges to blend out into the burlap. The burlap was so coarse that the extra layers were necessary to smooth out the central area a bit and fill in some of the texture. After that I used a sponge brush to add a layer of Captain Peacock Fresco Paint and then a highlight layer of Caribbean Sea. I hand cut a swoosh stencil out of cardstock and used it to stencil the wave shapes with Inky Pool.

Gesso is your friend!

quickie hand-cut stencil
Next came the fun part – thinking about the elements I wanted to include and playing around with where I wanted them. Often I will make quick mockups or diecuts out of scrap cardstock to use while I'm working out a project. You can see here a bit of my thought process:

Use throw away cardstock to work out your ideas before
cutting into the "good stuff".

Speaking of "good stuff" I created some "custom" paper to use for the anemone, coral and seahorses. Paper Artsy has several instructional videos on YouTube; I used the easy brayer background technique for mine. I love the texture and color blends you get!

Fresco paint colors: Pumpkin Soup, Cherry Red, Coral, Banana, Snowflake

For the coral branch, I also added texture by stamping with bubble wrap. I just wrapped a rectangle of bubble wrap around one of my large acrylic stamp blocks and used a brayer to apply paint to it – then stamped onto the coral piece. It adds another great textural layer.

Fresco Paint colors: Amethyst, Coral, Antarctic, Inky Pool

The bottle is cut out of scrap plastic packaging covered with Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint. The trick to using the crackle paint on plastic is to first lay down a base layer of Glue 'n Seal or Multi Medium (let it dry first). Otherwise the crackle paint will flake right off the plastic. I added a bit of Pumice Stone Distress Glitter around the edges while the crackle paint was wet (keeping up with our theme you know). After the crackle paint was dry, I dripped a bit of Mushroom Alcohol Ink around the edges to age it and define the cracks.

Are you still with me? Of course I incorporated all kinds of glitter (which is so hard to capture in photographs). I used coarse Art Ingredients Glass Glitter for the sand, different colors of Stickles Glitter Glue all around and dry glitter for the seahorses and purple coral branches. I managed to get a photo that shows a bit more sparkle, in person it really shines!


I hope that you'll head on over to MMM and check out all the inspirational projects my teammates have created for the challenge. If you link up your project there you'll be in the running for a $25 gift certificate from our sponsor this month, Frantic Stamper. We'd love to see you there!

http://www.franticstamper.com/

Thanks for stopping by! The supplies I used for this project can be found at Sizzix, Simon Says Stamp or Frantic Stamper. Follow the links below and a shopping you may go. ;-)




16 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The texture is amazing and your glitter is so perfectly used here. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! Loved this and so glad you posted the link to the video for the background - had fun watching that! Your project is just colorful, and happy! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project Lisa! Love the underwater scene that you created!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous project - love the underwater theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love how you have combined all those different mediums and textures x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun under the sea card! All your elements are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bright colours for this season: we need them! I love the canvas and all the details you added.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous under the sea inspiration! Love the layers of the seaweed and the sea horses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the Corals and the Anemone . What caught my fancy was the bottle with ATC named on it.. Never imagined its an actual plastic bottle .. The Cover is wonderful ..
    Hugs Remya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all this texture! The colors are so yummy too. We have similar tastes in dies...I have many of those too. Beautiful project, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved it...thanks for sharing in so details
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it like I love Melanie's canvas. It's all about the ocean and you too have invoked wonderful happy memories for me. I so miss the seaside and ocean and this reminds me of it and also helps me deal with the fact that I miss it so much Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous binder, I love the colours & textures :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!