Thursday, September 5, 2013

Happy Birthday Melissa!

Today is my friend Melissa's birthday and she gets a sneak peek at her card since the birthday bash will be next week or so. Hi Melissa!! =) For her card I wanted to take advantage of the September Inspiration Journal challenge which is Falling for Faux. I went to my Pintrest boards (I love Pintrest!!) and found a tutorial I had pinned for creating a faux rust background with Distress Paint. Perfect! Check out the link above for the great video Contadina K created to show you how to do it. (I added some Vintage Photo Distress embossing powder also for more texture.) Here is the card:


To embellish the front, I used several different techniques. First and easiest was to paint the metal parts with Distress Paint to colorize them. The label holder was silver and completely the wrong color for the card but a little Tarnished Brass and Peeled Paint took care of that! The metal Foliage flowers I painted with Wild Honey and Seedless Preserves. I've found that the paint tends to bead up on the flowers so I'll wipe them off with some rubbing alcohol first and that removes the residue. You can paint the brad tops too so they match. Distress Paint works great on metal!

The leaves were created with a oldie but goodie Tim Holtz technique that he shared here. It involves using glassine paper and alcohol ink and gives you a wonderful look.

The flowers I cut out of coffee filters and colored with Ripe Persimmon Distress Stain. I didn't have any Dusty Concord stain so I swiped my Dusty Concord ink pad across my craft sheet, misted it with water and then squinched (technical term) the flowers around in it. 

There are some fun techniques here to be explored. I hope you check out the Inspiration Journal challenge and link up your own project there. You have until the end of the month and participants have a chance at winning $50 in Emporium Dollars to spend at Inspiration Emporium.

Most of the supplies I've used on my card can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping.


5 comments:

  1. Love the card, Lisa!! I recently ordered from Inspiration Emporium and was thrilled with their service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have great service and fast shipping. =) I'm glad you like the card, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the sneak peek, Lisa! ;). I am truly blessed to have such a wonderfully creative friend like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, this is positively glowing! Beautiful card and choice of embellishments - i love delicate paired with grunge. And thank you so much for mentioning me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. I love your tutorials!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!