Wednesday, January 21, 2015

National Squirrel Appreciation Day

Did you know that today is National Squirrel Appreciation Day? How we have survived without knowing about this holiday is beyond me ha ha! I thought it would be fun to make my Dad a card for the occasion. He and the neighborhood squirrels have had a looooong running battle. When we had nut trees in the yard they would make the HUGEST mess and of course eat most of the nuts. One day, years ago, my Mom and I got home from running errands and found my Dad engaged in cutting down the walnut tree in a defensive move. Take that squirrels! Now they attack the apricot trees when the fruit is getting ripe. The battle continues…

Elizabeth Craft Designs, Karen Burniston Lucy Label card for Squirrel Appreciation Day
I think my Dad liked the card even though I got a big eye roll when I gave it to him LOL!

Elizabeth Craft Designs, Karen Burniston Lucy Label card for Squirrel Appreciation Day
I love the Karen Burniston pop up dies. They make to so easy to animate cards.
Closeups:

Elizabeth Craft Designs, Karen Burniston Lucy Label card for Squirrel Appreciation Day
The squirrels are fussy cut from an old fall-themed pad of K&Co paper I have.
Elizabeth Craft Designs, Karen Burniston Lucy Label card for Squirrel Appreciation Day
I carefully positioned the dictionary page when I diecut the arrows.
I am entering this card into the Craft Hoarders Anonymous January "Choose Your Challenge". You have to choose at least one thing from each category in the chart and incorporate that into your project.


I managed to get quite few:
Coloring Medium: Ink (everywhere!), Spray Mist, Paint
Fiber: fabric scalloped border, stitched buttonhole twist thread
Technique: lots of stamping; die cut branches, arrows and card mechanism, front sentiment; folding in card and pop up part
Texture: sanded to distress, cut branches out of chipboard
Embellish: bling using Stickles on front, ephemera - page torn out of old dictionary

Most of the supplies I used for this card can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. I will also point out that US shipping is always $5 and international shipping is just $10. ;-)




12 comments:

  1. I went outside to try and hug a squirrel . . . it ended badly! Ha ha. LOVE this card. Hope your Dad cracks up. Linking it now on KBD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this; the pop-up inside is awesome! We raised a baby squirrel and had her as a pet for over 4 years, and I helped a friend raise, rehab and release several orphaned babies...so definitely a different viewpoint than your dad-LOL! Good luck to him with the apricots-NOT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute card, love the squirrels running all around. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a squirrel that visits my bird feeder. He takes one sunflower seed at a time. Quite the easy eater! Love the card; little squirrels everywhere! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card! Your squirrels are so very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a FUN card! I love the sense of motion you created with all those cutie pie scampering squirrels! Great design, Lisa! Just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, this has got to be the cutest card ever! I had to laugh as I read your post. We have 2 squirrel proof bird feeders that our squirrels feast from daily, hence we have the fattest squirrels in the neighborhood:-)) We've given up the battle and just buy extra seed and nuts. We figure they've got to eat somewhere-lol!
    Your dad is going to love this card!!
    Thanks for joining in the challenge at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is hilarious! I absolutely love it.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute card...Thanks for joining us on the Craft Hoarders Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny! I have the giggles! Love the pop up portion of the card! Thanks for playing along in the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!