Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Reuse & Upcycle! Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge

Hello Funkie Junkie fans! It's time for a new challenge. Our hostess this time is me and the theme is "Reuse & Upcycle!" 

Ready for some spring cleaning? Try using something that would end up in the trash as part of your creative project! Upcycle thrift store finds, use your junk mail or product packaging in creative and 'arty' ways. Let's see what you can do with "trash".

"I" is for inventor and "G" is for gadgets! I had a lot of fun with this industrial assemblage. I rummaged through my stash of "found objects with possibilities" and the recycling bin!

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie "Reuse & Up-Cycle " Challenge #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #tim_holtz #sizzix #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie "Reuse & Up-Cycle " Challenge #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #tim_holtz #sizzix #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie
Detail 1

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie "Reuse & Up-Cycle " Challenge #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #tim_holtz #sizzix #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie
Detail 2

I think you will be surprised at some of the things I used in addition to a load of Tim Holtz Idea-ology and other products! Let's take a look:

First we have a cardboard cheese box, junk mail postcard, random number tags I'd saved and some metal bits that were going to get tossed. Also vintage filing dividers of some sort that I found at a thrift store outlet. (Guess how fast those made it into my card?)


I had some vintage letter stencils in my stash that I thought would be an interesting addition.


More stuff! Old resistors and the burned out tail light bulb from our SUV. Saved from the trash LOL!

Next step, grungify! I painted the metal parts and the cheese box with black gesso and then "rusty" paint colors. I wrapped the edges with Tim Holtz Linen Tape and copper wire. I also cut a slot for the card to fit into and a hole for the light bulb assembly.


I added lots of layers – stamping in the background, scraps from other projects. I love how the round Idea-ology Gauge Dial fit perfectly into to metal bit from my stash!



Thanks for stopping by! I hope you check out the fun challenges we have on the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. They are always good for sparking your creativity! You have two weeks to join the current challenge so I hope you give it a go.

Supplies used:
Tim Holtz die set - Abstract Faces
Tim Holtz die set - Bold Text #1
Tim Holtz stamp sets - Mesh & Linen, Inventor 7, Glitch 2

Distress Ink - Vintage Photo, Black Soot
Ranger Archival Inks - Crackling Campfire, Black Soot
label maker

Tim Holtz Idea-ology: 
Ephemera Gauge Dials
Gauge Dials (metal)
Ephemera Snippets Number Strips
Ephemera Snippets Curator


4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I LOVE this! The gauge dials are already in my shopping cart! I went through a phase where I saved all of my Laughing Cow empty packages to decorate. Awesome projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    I think you get my drift. 👍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man, Lisa! What a great fun project and a fun challenge, too! You had me at the vintagey file drawer things. But I was totally fooled by your gauge apparatus--I thought it was real at first look! Well done! I think I may have not gone far enough with the trash idea, using mainly bits most crafty people might throw away. Hopefully, I'll do better with a second entry with the items I started to work with, but got sidetracked from. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creative! Love all of the Idea-ology elements.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!