Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Funkie Junkie Focus – "Stencil Sensation" Iris Garden Journal

Hello Funkie Junkie fans! Our theme this time is "Stencil Sensation"! I definitely have a love for stencils. They are a handy tool to have in your creative arsenal and you can do so much with them. I created a practical and pretty journal to keep track of my extensive *ahem* bearded iris collection. Using the Eileen Hull Field Notes & Specimen Card Die to create a flip style journal on rings means I can add pages easily. There are several of my iris varieties that I need to get photos of this spring so I can add them to the journal.

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique

Of course I used many stencils to decorate the covers and pages! Take a look:

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique
I used Gel Press prints on the inside covers.


Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique

I have some process photos to share:

1) base background - I cut the pages out of heavy mixed media paper and used Antique Linen Distress Oxide Spray plus stencils to create a base texture.


I used a couple of methods to make it easy to do a lot of pages in a short time. First, two pages fit under one of the big stencils. I spritzed through the stencil, set those pages off to dry, and then used the spray left on the stencil to make a monoprint onto two new pages. I could actually get two sets of monoprint pages done with the residual ink from the initial spritz. That saved a lot of time.

Monoprint with stencil - I spritzed the residual ink with water
and then squished onto the pages.


2) More stencils! Over the top of the Distress Spray I used more stencils to add accent layers with acrylic paint. I knew the centers of the pages would be covered by a photo so I concentrated on the edges. I followed up with a bit of stamping with Archival ink.


3) Covers: I forgot to take photos while I was making them, oops! For a first layer, I did the same thing with Antique Linen Distress Oxide Spray as I did with the pages. Over that, I used the Tim Holtz Deco Leaf Layering Stencil to add Translucent Distress Crackle Paste in parts. Once it was dry, I spritzed with various colors of Distress Spray and water to get it to bleed into the crackle and pool around the paste shape edges. It's a great effect!




Thanks for stopping by. Keep an eye on the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog, Inspiration Ave. to see all the inspiring content each week. Don't miss it…

Supplies used:

Eileen Hull Die - Field Notes & Specimen Card
Tim Holtz Stamp Sets - Halftone & Rings

Stencils:
Tim Holtz Layering Stencils: Sticks, Berry Leaves, Deco Leaf
Dina Wakley Stencils: Pieces, Varied
Dylusions Stencils: Hexicomb, Dot Grid

Sizzix Mat Board
Distress Oxide Spray - Antique Linen
Distress Spray - Twisted Citron, Saltwater Taffy, Speckled Egg
Ranger Archival Ink - Frayed Burlap, Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Mermaid Lagoon, Picked Raspberry
Acrylic paint (Distress Paint is perfect!)





1 comment:

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!