Thursday, July 3, 2014

Artist Trading Block & Celebrating Independence Day!

Hello friends! I got a crafty idea in my head and I was able to make it a reality before the holiday it is meant to celebrate. Yes, I finished a 4th of July decoration before the 4th of July! Behold the ATB tower of Americana goodness (in multiple angles lol):


turning…

more turning…


keep turning…

Whew, there is a lot to see here. Now for two detail photos and then I can give you some info on how I put this all together.



First of all, I got all the fabulous vintage graphics from The Graphics Fairy. This is a wonderful resource for quality free graphics. You can download them and then use them in projects. It's fun to see all the different things people do with them.

Of course the structure is made with blocks cut with Eileen Hull's scoreboards dies Block and Blocks (set of 3) dies from Sizzix. I used the smallest Oval Movers & Shapers die to cut the windows in the bottom block. Distress inks let me build up some beautiful color on the surfaces, I flicked them with water to create a cool mottled effect too. The very bottom block uses clear embossing powder as a resist. Before inking the block panels, I stamped them with the Americana word stamp and embossed with clear powder. Then I went over it with blending foam and the blue inks; it makes it look enameled. I like how the blue gets in the nooks and crannies of the melted embossing powder.

The top is made with a rosette and the smallest star from the Star Bright die. I painted it silver first and then did a layer of silver embossing powder over the top of that. If you flick the back of your cardstock after you sprinkle the powder on but before you melt it, you will knock some off which ends up giving you a cool orange peel texture when you heat it. I like the rough flaky look of it.

This month Eileen's Art with Heart Challenge is Red, White & Beautiful. Link up your own project there to have a chance at winning a great prize pack. Also check out The Artists On the Block for some fabulous ATB eye candy. There is inspiration galore to be found!

Most of the supplies I used for this project can be found at Inspiration Emporium. Follow the links below and use my code JUICE to save 10% if you go shopping. I will also point out that US shipping is always $5 and international shipping is just $10! ;-) 



4 comments:

  1. This is awesome Lisa, I love every details and so festive for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been absent in comments lately, as I am involved in a HUGE project. But Lisa I had to shoot over and tell you that you did an AMAZING job on you Independence tower! Stunning.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great! Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks a awesome,Lisa! Each and every blockis beautiful. Wonderful project to have in your house for years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!