Sunday, October 30, 2022

Halloween Journal - the Final Tutorial!

Hello and happy Halloween! I've been working on a big Halloween journal project over the course of the past several weeks. It started with the creation of the cover using Eileen Hull's Sizzix Full Size Journal Die. Two subsequent posts centered on all the inside pages - find those posts with tutorials here and here. I really had a lot of fun first going back through all my Halloween family photos from years past and then getting out all my Tim Holtz Halloween dies, stamps and media and going to town!

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Blog - Halloween Journal #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #eileenhull #tim_holtz #sizzix #mysizzixstory #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Blog - Halloween Journal #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #eileenhull #tim_holtz #sizzix #mysizzixstory #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Blog - Halloween Journal #creativejuicefreshsqueezed #eileenhull #tim_holtz #sizzix #mysizzixstory #mymakingstory #thefunkiejunkie #thefunkiejunkieboutique #frillyandfunkie

Here's a video flip-through of the journal (my rookie attempt lol):


A last piece of the construction of the journal is how I made the binding and attached the pages. Let's take a look…

Step 1

Eileen Hull's Bookbinding & Label Die Set is perfect for making ---- bindings for journals. It is sized to fit perfectly in her Folio Journal Die but it can be easily adapted to other cover sizes. The die cuts and scores the spine pieces so you can quickly fold them up. (No laborious measuring and scoring!)


Step 2

Once the paper was folded, I put red-line tape in place to adhere the 'peaks' together. (The peak forms a tab that you then attach your page to.)


Step 3

I used a quick grab wet glue to adhere my tab pieces in place on the spine block. I wanted it to be really strong!





For the final page installation, I first glued each front/back set of pages together but DID NOT put glue on the edges that would fit over each spine tab. When all the page sets were dry, one set at a time, I added glue inside that 'spine edge' and slipped it over a tab. A couple of clothespins and my fingers held it in place for a moment while the glue set.

Thanks for reading and keep an eye on the 
Funkie Junkie Inspiration Ave blog for loads of creative projects and techniques shared. Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!